Teenagers Working – 6 Reasons Your Teen Should Get a Job
As a parent to a teen you hope that they will develop some responsibility during this age, but it can be tremendously difficult to see the light of maturity at the end of the tunnel while in the midst of raising a teen. The first step in encouraging your teen to develop a little bit of responsibility is to get your teenagers working. There are many benefits to a teenager working, and today we will share 6 reasons your teen should get a job.
Why You Should Get Your Teenagers Working
- Perspective on Life – getting teenagers working, helps them to gain a new perspective on life. They will start to interact with society and learn how the world works in a whole new light beyond that of the family unit.
- Boosts Self-Esteem – when your teen starts to make their own money to spend on items that they desire to have, it helps boost their self-esteem. Knowing that they are working hard for that dollar to buy the next must-have item on their list keeps them feeling confident.
- New Life Skills – most teens end up with a customer service type job; cashiering, bagging groceries, etc., and with this type of part time job your teen develops new life skills. Some skills your teen will learn are how to handle challenging scenarios, and how to budget their income.
- Builds Connections – if your teen is seeking to attend college, then having a part time job can open the doors to valuable connections that are able to provide them with references to get into the college of their choice. Life is all about building good connections.
- Alleviates Boredom – when a teen has a job they are less likely to get into trouble with having too much free time on their hands. Alleviating boredom in a teenagers life is one step towards ensuring they grow into responsible adults who make good decisions.
- Teaches Balance – a teen that works and attends high school learns the skill of balancing their time between studies as well as their job duties. Learning to balance time is just another important part of growing into a well-rounded, responsible adult.
There are many reasons your teen should get a job, but our most favorite reason is that it simply keeps them busy. Teenagers bring on a difficult phase for parenthood with their ever changing hormones, friendship battles and even relationships with their partners they are so in love with. When you make it a requirement that your teen gets a job, they will have less time to make bad decisions and spend more time on being responsible.
This is so true! I think that it gives them a better look into how society/life works and they also learn to be a productive citizen. Great post.