Green Bean Casserole Recipe- Side Dish-No Canned Soup
No canned soups were harmed in the making of this amazing Green Bean Casserole, that I can promise you. Last year, I made this Green Bean Casserole along with an amazing Broccoli Casserole. They both went over so well that I had to try them out again this year. Well, again this year, they were a huge hit! Everyone loved them and went back for more.
My favourite things about these two casseroles is that there is no canned soup necessary to make them and that you can actually make and assemble them a day in advance! Get them all put together, and then store them in the refrigerator until about an hour before you plan to cook them. I found doing this, saved me dishes and time on the day of an event or get together.
I have a secret for you. This Green Bean Casserole, has Bacon in it. Shhhh, just go with it. Green beans and Bacon. Glorious. Beautiful thick cut Bacon will dance in your mouth among the velvety, creamy deliciousness that surrounds it. These Green Beans still have a pleasant crunch to them, no mush allowed here.
I said it with the broccoli casserole and I will say it again, this is not really the healthiest way to enjoy your vegetables. It may not be the healthiest, but hey, it’s Thanksgiving. Do what YOU want, enjoy your dinner and worry about it later. You deserve to indulge, and if you are making this and it’s NOT Thanksgiving. You STILL deserve it, don’t you worry, the calories are so worth it!
You won’t ever make a canned soup green bean casserole again. You won’t need to now that you have this recipe in your Thanksgiving arsenal.
- 8 Cups Fresh Green Beans, Tips Cut
- 6 Slices of Thick Cut Bacon, Cut into Pieces
- 4 Small Shallots, Diced
- 4 Cloves of Minced Garlic
- 3.5 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3.5 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups 2% Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, To taste
- 1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- Sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 Cup Fried Onions
- Preheat Oven to 350
- Add Green Beans to Boiling Water and cook until just tender. Run under cold water to drain.
- Cook Bacon until until starting to brown but not crispy, add shallots and garlic and cook until golden brown.
- In a Separate frying pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add the flour to the melted butter and whisk until well combined.
- Add Milk and Cream and whisk continually until thick. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste, sprinkle in grated cheese.
- Add the Shallot and Bacon mixture to the cream sauce and stir to combine. Add Green beans to a 9 x 13 baking dish and add the sauce. Stir.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and top with Breadcrumbs and Onions
- Bake at 350 for 40 mins
- *Make Ahead Tip* Assemble casserole and place in the fridge until an hour prior to cooking. Remove from fridge, let sit for an hour and cook in oven as directed.
So you can basically make this 2 hours ahead? 1 hour in the fridge and 1 hour coming to room temp?
You can make it a day ahead if you want. Leave it in the fridge until ready to use! Just make sure you bring it as close to room temp as you can before you put it in the oven.