We love to Caramelize Onions. In fact, Caramelized onions are my favourite way to enjoy an onion.
Caramelized onions are so versatile! I love to enjoy them on steak, in quiche, on a burger… there are just so many awesome ways to use Caramelized onions. In fact, you can even use them in sauces!
If you love Caramelized onions as much as I do, you will be pleasantly pleased when you know how to make them perfectly at home. In fact, you may even start using them for everything. I would suggest you leave them out of cereal in the mornings though. Just a suggestion.
Before you get started, I want you to make sure that you have time to make these. Lots of time. The perfect Caramelized onions aren’t made in a split second. Don’t say I didn’t warn you, I just want you to make sure you are going into this process well aware of the time it’s going to take. Don’t worry these onions are worth clearing your schedule for!
It can seem tricky to get the perfect Caramelized onions, but it’s not. One thing I promise you though, is that it takes patience. A lot of Patience. You will want to speed up the process, but I implore you, DON’T! The key to amazing Caramelized onions, is time. So take the time you need and you won’t be disappointed with the results. I know I sure wasn’t!
- 4 Large Yellow Onions, Sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Salt to Taste
- Slice Onions thinly into strings
- Heat butter in a large skillet over Medium/Low heat
- Add onions and stir occasionally
- Once the onions become damp, add salt
- Reduce heat to low to prevent the onions from burning
- Stir when needed to prevent onions from sticking to the skillet
- Continue cooking for about 45 mins over low heat, stirring when needed until deep brown
- Once Onions have reached the deep brown colour you may remove from heat and use them!