Broccoli Casserole Recipe- Side Dish- No Cream Soup from a Can
Thanksgiving makes me happy for so many reasons. One being family and spending time with those that we love, and another being the delicious foods that adorn our table. This Thanksgiving I made my Broccoli Casserole as one of the side dishes. I made it last year and decided that since it was such a big hit, I would make it again this year. Since serving it again this year, I have decided that it will be a dish we serve every single Thanksgiving from now on. My family loved it, my guests raved about it and everyone devoured it. A huge plus is that you can make this a day ahead to save time!
To make this Broccoli Casserole recipe you will need a lot, and I mean, a lot of Broccoli. I bought 4 large bunches of Broccoli and probably should have bought more. I would suggest grabbing 5 or 6 depending on the size of each bunch and going from there. You want to make sure you have plenty of this casserole because not only do you want to have enough for your guests to have seconds, because they sure as heck WILL want seconds, but you also want there to be enough for leftovers. Once you have tried this casserole once, Thanksgiving just won’t be the same without this nestled beside your wonderful turkey.
The thing that I enjoy the most about this casserole is that you don’t need any cream soups from a can. It tastes beyond delicious and it’s easy enough to make that you don’t NEED that can of soup. You can do it!
This Broccoli Casserole isn’t the healthiest way on earth to consume the vegetable, but it certainly is, in my opinion, the tastiest way! Besides, it’s Thanksgiving! It’s time to indulge. After dinner you will be thankful that you have a bit of time to work it all off.
- 6 Broccoli Crowns
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 2/3 Cup. Unsalted Butter, divided
- 3 Tbsps Flour
- 1 1/3 Cups Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper to Taste
- 1 Pkg of Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/2 Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 Cup Fried Onions
- Preheat Oven to 350
- Steam Broccoli until Slightly Tender
- In a large sauce pan, melt 3tbsp butter over low heat, slowly add flour, stir until well combined and smooth.
- Add Milk 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Turn heat up to medium and stir constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Add Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the softened cream cheese and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Drain Broccoli and add to a 9x13 baking dish, toss with garlic and pour hot cream cheese mixture over broccoli. Stir.
- In a small sauce pan melt the remaining butter and mix with breadcrumbs.
- Top Broccoli with shredded cheeses, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and onions.
- Bake in 350 Oven for 40 Mins.
- *Make ahead Tip* To make the day ahead, do all steps except baking, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge until needed. Pull casserole out of fridge an hour before putting it in the oven. Cook as directed.
Leave a Reply