Here we are with some Recipes for Busy Parents! It’s time to bust that “Hump Day Meal Rut!”
It has been cold here lately! Don’t know what it’s like on your end of the earth, but here, oh yes, here it has been windy and snowing and blowing and nipply.
So… We are cooking some good old comfort food. You know… that stuff that makes you feel all warm and cozy on the inside!
My favorite warm up recipe in the winter is and always has been Borscht.
Yes, Borscht. I am serious!
What You Need:
1 Cup of beets, peeled and Diced
1/2 Cup of beets, peeled and set aside
1/2 a Stick of butter
1 Onion, diced
1 Carrot, peeled and diced
1 large Stalk of Celery, diced
1 Medium sized Leek, cut into rings
1 Bay leaf
6 Cups of low sodium Beef Stock
2 Potatoes, diced
1/2 of a small cabbage, shredded
4 large cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
2 tbsp of cider vinegar
1 tsp of sugar (helps the medicine go down)
1/2 tsp of black pepper, freshly ground
1 pinch of salt
What You Do:
1. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan, and add the onion. Soften onion over low heat in a lark skillet until see through.
2. Add diced beets, carrots, celery, leeks and the bay leaf to the mixture, stir to mix with butter. Cook for approx. 10 mins.
3. Grate the remaining beet. Add the beef stock and potatoes to the sauce pan and let simmer for approx. 15 mins.
4. Add cabbage, potatoes, grated beets, and garlic and allow to cook approx 10 more mins or until vegetables are tender.
5. Add remaining ingredients and stir well to mix. Simmer on low for 5-10 more mins.
I like to serve this with a dollop of Sour Cream and a sprinkling of Fresh Dill!
Check out More Recipes for Busy Parents with our other What’s for Dinner Wednesday Recipes!