In this family we love to carve Pumpkins for Halloween. It’s one of our favorite things to do. If you love carving pumpkins for Halloween as much as we do, you need to Pick the Perfect Pumpkin to carve.
How to Pick the Perfect Pumpkin
1. Pick an Orange Pumpkin- This may seem fairly obvious, but there are many different colour pumpkins available. The Perfect Pumpkins to carve are fully Orange. The Pumpkin may have minor colour flaws, but the more orange the pumpkin, the better.
2. Pay Attention to the Stem- When you are picking a pumpkin, check the stem first. The stem on a pumpkin says a lot about the quality of a pumpkin. The stem should be dark and sturdy. If you pick up a pumpkin and the stem breaks of bends, find a different pumpkin.
3. Ensure The Pumpkin is in Shape- No, I don’t mean your pumpkin has to go to the gym. I mean, that you need to ensure that the shape of your pumpkin is ideal for carving and has the correct surface area for the design that you are planning on carving into it.
4. Make Sure it Hasn’t been Attacked by Frost- When looking for your pumpkin, especially if you live in an area that is prone to frost, ensure that the pumpkin you chose has no frost damage.
5. Check for Firmness- Make sure the pumpkin you pick is firm all over. If there are soft spots on the pumpkin, opt for a different one. Soft spots on a pumpkin can indicate rotting on the inside, which can be quite disheartening when it comes time to carve.
Picking a Pumpkin can be great fun for the entire family! We love going out and searching for our own pumpkins for Halloween! It’s a great way to spend time together as a family this fall.