The other day I was craving coffee cake, I was also craving a cinnamon bun. I am not a sweets kind of girl usually. Normally I like my savoury snacks far more, however sometimes I get these cravings for things like cakes, donuts and pastries and when those cravings come on… I have to bake!
We have a tenant that lives downstairs and she always gets to be the taste tester of these creations, so as soon as the cake was finished cooling and iced, I took her down a few peices for her, her friend and her daughter to try. They were in LOVE with it. LOVE. I am kind of mean to my kids I guess, because I made them wait until after dinner to try it… but when they did, they wanted more and more and more. In fact, they took some to school for snack today and I may or may not have demolished a piece with a tea this morning for breakfast… shhhhh.
Cinnamon Bun Bundt Cake
This cake is a Franken-creation somewhere between a coffee cake, and a cinnamon bun. It is rich, delicious and just a little sweet. The balance is great. The cream cheese icing is really the perfect addition to this coffee cake. It cuts the sweet a little with a great amount of creaminess! I also included a beautiful, sweet and crunchy streusel on the bottom (which was initially the top before I flipped this old girl out of the pan.) The streusel adds the perfect buttery crunch to every bite.
We can’t stop eating this! It’s perfectly buttery and delicious. Pair it with a great cup of tea or a hot coffee and you won’t be disappointed. The kids loved this as an after school treat, in fact, because there are no nuts, I was able to send it to school with them as I said earlier.
- 1 C Melted Butter
- 1 C. Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 C. Flour
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups plain Greek Yogurt
- 3/4 C packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch Salt
- 1/4 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c butter. softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 c. icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat Oven to 350
- In a Medium Sized mixing bowl combine filling ingredients and set aside
- .In another medium sized mixing bowl combine all the streusel ingredients, cut in the butter until well combined and mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside.
- In a Large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- In an additional bowl, cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, Making sure to beat until well mixed. Add Vanilla to the Mix. Alternate adding reserved flour mix and greek yogurt, ending with flour and mix until very well combined.
- Take half the batter and add to your bundt pan.Make a small well in the mixture and add your filling, spooning evenly and generously until filled.
- Finish with remaining batter. Top with Stresuel Topping.
- Bake in center of oven for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for 30 Mins before flipping out of the pan and Icing.
- In bowl, beat the cream cheese with the butter until smooth. Add in vanilla and Cinnamon. Beat in icing sugar, one-third at a time, until smooth. Spread over the top of the Warm cake.