This is seriously the best turnover recipe I have ever, in my life tried. Strawberry, Blood Orange and Cream Cheese Turnovers?! YES PLEASE.
I love strawberries. I always have! They are essentially my favorite fruit, so stuffing them in a turnover sounds like an amazing idea to me. To be honest, before this weekend, I had never tried a blood orange. I know, I know. Blood oranges are DELICIOUS and are a runner up for my favorite fruit.
I also can’t say enough for Cream Cheese. I love cream cheese. Far too much for my own good. It’s delicious in recipes and so much more!
This weekend we decided to combine all my favorites, and put them in another favorite.. PASTRY! A few quick and awesome flavor combinations and voila… Strawberry, Blood Orange and Cream Cheese Turnovers. A star was born,
When I say this is the best turnover recipe, I mean it. In my eyes, this is the BEST turnover recipe I have ever had. The Pastry is delicious, buttery and flaky. The filling is just beyond words. Combining Strawberry, Blood Orange and Cream cheese has opened my eyes to deliciousness.
In all seriousness, these are amazing with a hot tea or coffee. I have never in my life enjoyed a turnover as much as I enjoyed these.
These are really large so you can make them smaller. (I don’t know why you would want to though.) The kids really enjoyed them as well. I am pretty sure this is our new go to delicious treat.
I really can’t wait to enjoy one with a tea again soon. Strawberry, blood orange and cream cheese. Seriously. Who Knew?!
Best Ever Turnover Recipe
- 1 1/2 C. Flour
- 1 1/2 C. Butter, cubed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 C. Cold Water
- 2 C. Strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 a Blood Orange, peeled and chunked
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/3 C. Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Paste or 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/2 C. Plain Cream Cheese, Softened
- Egg wash
- Preheat Oven to 350
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour and cubed butter, gently toss cubed butter in flour making sure not to break the butter down too much, you want to still see pieces of butter.
- Make a small hole in the center of the mix and pour in 3/4 of the water.
- Mix until firm. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 30 mins in the refrigerator.
- Place dough on a floured surface and mix with your hands forming a rectangle making sure not to overwork the butter, it should still be visible.
- Fold the top corner down and then fold bottom corner over top of that, roll out to about 3x it's length.
- Fold dough the same as previously and cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest another 30 mins in the fridge before rolling out again.
- Roll dough out as evenly as possible.
- Using a knife cut out Eight 6 inch squares and set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a skillet, warm 1/2 cup of water.
- Add sliced strawberries and blood orange.
- Squeeze Lemon in and Add Vanilla
- Bring to a boil, add Sugar and cook down until thickened.
- Mix a small amount of water with corn starch to create a paste, add to mixture in skillet. Cook until thickened.
- Add Lemon Zest and mix.
- Allow mixture to cool before filling the pastry.
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp of filling in the center of each square, add a dollop of cream cheese.
- coat the inside edges with an egg wash, fold over filling into a triangle and pinch to seal.
- Use an egg wash to coat outside of pastry lightly.
- Bake in 350 Oven until golden brown, approx 25 mins.